Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A vacuole with a digestive function in the protoplasm of a protozoan.
- ‘Myzocytotic uptake of prey cell cytoplasm leads to a food vacuole with a single membrane separating two cytoplasmic compartments.’
- ‘Due to the acid environment in the P. falciparum food vacuole, all histidine residues in the model were modeled using the AMBER HIP residue.’
- ‘Control cells make approximately one food vacuole per minute and therefore appear full of black dots.’
- ‘The remaining vacuoles seen in Figure 2.1 and 2.2, may be food vacuoles.’
- ‘Trophic positions were determined from published accounts of food preference, direct observation of feeding, inspection of food vacuoles, and knowledge of culture requirements.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.