One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A voucher issued by the government to those on low income, exchangeable for food.
- ‘For example, Section 32 financed a pilot food stamp program for several years in the early 1940s.’
- ‘The bipartisan Hunger Relief Act would remove some outdated and unreasonable barriers to the food stamp program.’
- ‘Forty states already rely on overseas help desks for their food stamp recipients.’
- ‘In the food stamp program, for instance, an additional $100 of income reduces benefits by $24.’
- ‘Only recently have immigrant adults and all legal immigrant children under the age of 18 become eligible for food stamp benefits in California.’
- ‘It's very dehumanizing to have to go and beg for food, you know; and then they want to ask you, ‘Can I see your food stamp card?’’
- ‘The federal food stamp ban places an unequal burden on the poor, people of color, and individuals with children.’
- ‘The US grows 40 percent more food than it needs, but hunger is widespread and 26 million people in America rely on food stamp assistance.’
- ‘The budget decrease in the USDA budget includes cuts to food stamp payments and farm subsidy payments.’
- ‘As Congress haggles over food stamp cuts, soup kitchens fear longer lines.’
- ‘But food stamp use fell off 40 percent after 1994, although fewer families were receiving welfare and more had joined the ranks of the working poor.’
- ‘And as we reported earlier this month, the overseas outsourcing of work even extends to the U.S. government's food stamp program.’
- ‘She's urging the state to require customer service jobs for food stamp recipients be located in the state of Wisconsin.’
- ‘More than 1.1 million New Yorkers had food stamp benefits reduced or eliminated.’
- ‘In Maryland, food stamp recipients don't actually get ‘stamps’ anymore.’
- ‘As the recession deepened, food stamp and welfare rolls began to rise in most US states.’
- ‘Such was the case despite the scope of the federal food stamp arid school lunch programs.’
- ‘That's an increase of six million hungry people since the 1996 welfare reform, with its massive cuts in food stamp programs.’
- ‘This week in Texas, authorities were soon overwhelmed by food stamp applications - 26,000 in four days.’
- ‘I heard a food stamp recipient say he was only getting back what he had paid in taxes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.