One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A voucher issued by the government to those on low income, exchangeable for food.
- ‘Forty states already rely on overseas help desks for their food stamp recipients.’
- ‘In the food stamp program, for instance, an additional $100 of income reduces benefits by $24.’
- ‘The bipartisan Hunger Relief Act would remove some outdated and unreasonable barriers to the food stamp program.’
- ‘I heard a food stamp recipient say he was only getting back what he had paid in taxes.’
- ‘As Congress haggles over food stamp cuts, soup kitchens fear longer lines.’
- ‘Such was the case despite the scope of the federal food stamp arid school lunch programs.’
- ‘In Maryland, food stamp recipients don't actually get ‘stamps’ anymore.’
- ‘This week in Texas, authorities were soon overwhelmed by food stamp applications - 26,000 in four days.’
- ‘That's an increase of six million hungry people since the 1996 welfare reform, with its massive cuts in food stamp programs.’
- ‘The federal food stamp ban places an unequal burden on the poor, people of color, and individuals with children.’
- ‘The budget decrease in the USDA budget includes cuts to food stamp payments and farm subsidy payments.’
- ‘For example, Section 32 financed a pilot food stamp program for several years in the early 1940s.’
- ‘And as we reported earlier this month, the overseas outsourcing of work even extends to the U.S. government's food stamp program.’
- ‘Only recently have immigrant adults and all legal immigrant children under the age of 18 become eligible for food stamp benefits in California.’
- ‘The US grows 40 percent more food than it needs, but hunger is widespread and 26 million people in America rely on food stamp assistance.’
- ‘It's very dehumanizing to have to go and beg for food, you know; and then they want to ask you, ‘Can I see your food stamp card?’’
- ‘As the recession deepened, food stamp and welfare rolls began to rise in most US states.’
- ‘She's urging the state to require customer service jobs for food stamp recipients be located in the state of Wisconsin.’
- ‘But food stamp use fell off 40 percent after 1994, although fewer families were receiving welfare and more had joined the ranks of the working poor.’
- ‘More than 1.1 million New Yorkers had food stamp benefits reduced or eliminated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.