Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A nutritional diagram in the shape of a pyramid, especially (in the US) the Food Guide Pyramid.
- ‘But the U.S. Agriculture Dept.'s new food pyramid is a place to start if you're contemplating better eating habits.’
- ‘Yes, Larry, my question for the doctor is regarding the food pyramid that is established for our school systems.’
- ‘But his mom always found a way to make sure they ate the right amount of Vitamins each day, taking him to every part of the food pyramid.’
- ‘In my opinion, the USDA's food pyramid is not effective and has caused an increase in obesity and dysglycemia.’
- ‘Now, I could just point to the government's recommended food pyramid and say, ‘Eat that.’’
- ‘I'm expecting big things from all this fruit consumption, and if I don't get it, someone in charge of the food pyramid is going to get cut.’
- ‘Canyon Ranch includes herbs and spices on its own food pyramid because they provide so much flavor to lower-fat meals.’
- ‘At least we're done talking about the food pyramid in Health.’
- ‘In my opinion, it should have sat at the top of the food pyramid.’
- ‘‘Kids don't read or study the food pyramid,’ he said, so product presentation to them is all important.’
- ‘Last time I checked fast food restaurants are not listed on the food pyramid.’
- ‘Many feel that the food pyramid isn't dramatically flawed; it's just dangerously vague.’
- ‘Nutritionists from the organization are asking the government to revise the food pyramid based on this evidence.’
- ‘In an effort to reduce the problem, the USDA unveiled the first ever food pyramid specifically for kids, but not everyone was impressed.’
- ‘Well, for your info, yes, we're going to learn about the food pyramid next week, in Health.’
- ‘The government unveiled a new food pyramid this week.’
- ‘The food pyramid has outlived its usefulness and the Department of Agriculture is looking to give it an extreme makeover.’
- ‘Could this be why the wealthy have abandoned them like last week's food pyramid?’
- ‘Other than water, protein is the starting point for the bodybuilding version of the food pyramid.’
- ‘The diet will conform to the prescribed food pyramid, allowing for fats, oils and sweets besides cereal, rice, milk and vegetables.’
A graphic representation of predatory relationships in the food chain, in which various forms of life are shown on different levels, with each level preying on the one below it.
- ‘Quammen emphasizes how the placement of predators at the top of the food pyramid makes them especially vulnerable to habitat destruction.’
- ‘This is certainly not the case in living communities, in which carnivores are at the top of the food pyramid and thus are much less abundant than herbivores.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.