One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mile over which a food item is transported during the journey from producer to consumer, as a unit of measurement of the fuel used to transport it.
- ‘Whatever the argument about food miles, Ruth's products do come direct from the farm it just so happens that the farm is in Greece.’
- ‘The cider is locally made, with a minimum of food miles and provides employment for all those involved in the production and distribution of the product.’
- ‘I know we are told that 50 per cent of the road haulage miles are food miles.’
- ‘When I first heard about food miles, I took the concept seriously.’
- ‘The project is also a very good example of how new ventures like this can help to reduce food miles.’
- ‘The concept of food miles and the rising cost of fuel mean that we are now choosing local, seasonal produce.’
- ‘This won't happen, of course, because most of the organic food we consume is imported, requiring excess food miles in the process.’
- ‘Approximately half of the road miles which they accumulate are food miles.’
- ‘It also cuts down unnecessary food miles, reducing pollution and climate gas emissions.’
- ‘To suggest that locally-sourced food may generate more food miles is ludicrous.’
- ‘Hannah is keen to illustrate the downside of food miles, too, but also to highlight the self-defeating practice of importing organic produce.’
- ‘The partnership was set up in September last year because of the growing interest in locally-produced food and the requirement to reduce food miles.’
- ‘The more produce you grow yourself the less food miles and so the less emissions.’
- ‘Local ingredients, with fewer food miles attached to them, are now figuring increasingly in what we eat.’
- ‘Buying British lamb is not only patriotic, it makes sense from the point of view of food miles - and, even more importantly, for good taste.’
- ‘Although piling on the food miles, these are fairly traded carrots, making like a little easier for poor farmers.’
- ‘They talk often of nutrition and food miles, of incorporating social values into prices, and of changing Americans' opinion of farming from anachronism to vital service.’
- ‘I grow vegetables and herbs in my garden to cut down on the food miles we eat up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.