Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A state of sleep or extreme lethargy induced by the consumption of a large amount of food.‘I fell into a post-dinner food coma’
- ‘And the portion is perfect, not enough to weigh you down with food coma.’
- ‘Their pizza is more doughy than cheesy, so although we did feel like fat kids afterwards we weren't in a food coma.’
- ‘They serve an incredibly large Italian beef sandwich that will put you into quite the food coma.’
- ‘Afterwards, I sat in a food coma for some time waiting for the Superbowl festivities to begin.’
- ‘Others lounge around in their living rooms in a food coma, amid piles of crumpled wrapping paper.’
- ‘Even though my friend and I were in a complete food coma, we rounded out the dinner with chocolate cake and raspberry sauce.’
- ‘You can't go wrong with the Mexicana platter - it will have you in a food coma asap.’
- ‘Come here, order a triple decker, and feel the food coma set in.’
- ‘I couldn't resist a double espresso for dessert, which was necessary to ward off a food coma at work.’
- ‘I slowly slid down into my seat and settled in for an enjoyable food coma.’
- ‘Once my food coma finally wore off, I headed to the races.’
- ‘I was thorougly delighted with the meal and promptly entered into a food coma from its deliciousness!’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.