Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A kind of pale yellow Italian cheese.
- ‘Add the reserved broth, fontina, Parmesan, walnuts, parsley and some salt and pepper.’
- ‘If Gorgonzola is your thing, it's also in the quattro formaggio along with pungent swiss, fontina and mozzarella.’
- ‘Thin veal is sandwiched between sharp fontina and a half dozen thin stalks of pungent asparagus.’
- ‘A lesser-known Italian cheese is Piedmont's fontina, which is the essential ingredient in fonduta, Italy's version of the Swiss fondue.’
- ‘Here, they're suffused with fontina and pecorino and swathed with tomato sauce.’
- ‘A large boneless breast of chicken was stuffed with fontina cheese and sundried tomatoes and then topped with béchamel sauce and fresh pesto.’
- ‘Spread pocket bread with sautéed mushrooms and fontina cheese; bake until cheese is melted, then dollop with fruit chutney.’
- ‘Melt the butter, add the cheese - start with fontina and Gorgonzola, and add the pecorino and Parmesan last.’
- ‘Spread a layer of béchamel over truffles and layer with chicken, mushrooms, tomato confit, fontina cheese and another layer of sauce.’
- ‘The Gold offers hints of fontina, Gruyère and Parmesan.’
- ‘The thin-crusted pizzas are tops, with seasonal embellishments like trumpet royale mushrooms, fontina cheese, and thyme.’
- ‘The folded half-moon, a sort of quasi-calzone, hides a cache of fontina cheese gigged with emphatic sun-dried tomato: simple and effective.’
- ‘Italian varieties such as fontina and Asiago have increased in popularity.’
- ‘Over the past year there has been an increased awareness of certain Italian varieties, such as asiago, fontina and fontinella.’
- ‘If you can't find it, substitute another firm, flavorful cheese, such as fontina.’
- ‘It's a chicken pizza with a white sauce, like a zesty, ranchy sauce, that has broccoli, onions, fresh sage, Gorgonzola, and fontina.’
- ‘There are recipes for flatbread and pizza and even a Philly Cheese Steak that's made with sirloin and fontina.’
- ‘Sprinkle the chives on top, followed by the grated fontina cheese.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.