Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dish in which small pieces of food are dipped into a hot sauce or a hot cooking medium such as oil or broth.‘a Swiss cheese fondue’
- ‘Spoon a portion of the fondue on top of the asparagus and garnish with the basil leaves.’
- ‘Since most people love gooey molten cheese and because dipping and dunking is both convivial and fun, a cheese fondue is ideal.’
- ‘Our meat fondue came with our choice of side dish, Caesar salad, rice pilaf and a baguette.’
- ‘It can also be used in various recipes like nachos, fajitas, quesadillas and fondues.’
- ‘Pour fondue into the béchamel soup (still warming over the boiling water).’
- ‘The fish fondue is typical of the innovative cuisine on offer here from Cornish chef Nick Hodges.’
- ‘But it would make a good-sized fondue - a melted cheese pot with bread dipped in.’
- ‘For the tomato fondue, in a medium saucepan, heat the oil over low heat.’
- ‘The fruit fondue is definitely worth trying with a special someone.’
- ‘Like cassoulet or fondue, this French dish has its many regional definitions.’
- ‘In addition to some 60 cheeses, which are assembled for service each night, there are twelve different cheese fondues to share at the table.’
- ‘It was served, as was every dish save the fondue, with sides of red cabbage and rösti, that most delicious of Swiss dishes.’
- ‘The menu is large, with 100 items in addition to breakfasts and some fondues and a Swiss Raclette.’
- ‘The second course is often a meat fondue, which is pretty different.’
- ‘The head can be sliced into bite-sized pieces for fondue or shish kebab.’
- ‘The cheese fondue was seriously boozy and came with lots of chopped up bread for dipping.’
- ‘More precisely, dip into the warm cheese fondue at Watergate Bay's Beach Hut in Cornwall after a morning's surfing.’
- ‘Then there is a wide variety of bread and melted cheese dishes, one of which is the fondue.’
- ‘The pork fondue was chosen in an attempt to broaden the gastronomic horizons of a 75-year-old woman from Popovo.’
- ‘Cheese fondue is also fabulous with purple grapes and cut-up chunks of green apple.’
French, feminine past participle of fondre to melt.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.