One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A children's game in which the participants copy the actions and words of a person who has been chosen as leader.
- ‘They are sociable and playful, and like to chase, play follow-my-leader and bodysurf.’
- ‘Joyuko complained, last again in the follow-the-leader game.’
- ‘You would have thought I would have learned, but one day after my kiddie afternoon nap, he actually suggested playing a game - follow-my-leader.’
- 1.1 The copying of the actions of others, often without consideration of their suitability for oneself.‘consumers play follow-the-leader when it comes to buying fashion’as adjective ‘a follow-the-leader effect in the investments market’
- ‘And the domestics seem to play a politically correct game of follow-the-leader and wonder why they continue to lose market share.’
- ‘Rather than play follow-my-leader, far better to do your own research and make a name for yourself.’
- ‘‘There's a lot of follow-the-leader type mentality with national companies,’ said the executive director.’
- ‘True, the company may be playing follow-the-leader today.’
- ‘It is curious that the SEC allows high-profile investors to keep smaller holdings confidential, but leaves scope for follow-the-leader manipulation of the share price.’
- ‘There is a sheep-like tendency among ornithologists to play follow-the-leader with regard to the terminology in this field, and I am as guilty as anyone.’
- ‘But it's not always wise to play follow-the-leader.’
- ‘The best collective ideas come out of diverse contributions, but some groups might have individuals so strong that others play follow-the-leader instead of thinking for themselves.’
- ‘The carmaker has been known over much of the last decade for its timidly designed, mainstream sedans and compacts - real follow-the-leader stuff.’
- ‘Senior management wants to make sure that the return on investment is appropriate and they aren't just playing follow-the-leader.’
- ‘The follow-the-leader approach favoured the Congress when it was Number One.’
- ‘In this country, people have the follow-the-leader mentality.’
- ‘The Japanese Prime Minister found himself largely relegated to playing follow-the-leader.’
- ‘In some ways market forces generate follow-the-leader type adaptations that also work towards like units.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.