Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘A Northern Rivers resident for just over a month now, Lisa is already building up a strong local following with her folky, acoustic performances.’
- ‘If you like the moody and folky sound coming out of Glasglow these days, you can't go wrong with Y'all Get Scared Now Ya Hear.’
- ‘It starts off with a 1: 30-long track that's just handclaps and vocals, but doesn't sound particularly folky.’
- ‘There's adult music that I like, world beat or rootsy, folky stuff, but you won't see the band doing much adult music.’
- ‘But one real highlight is Elliott Smith's folky lethargy on ‘Needle in the Hay’.’
- ‘I've shifted from being all Gaelic to being a mixture of both, but in a folky way.’
- ‘Her voice is almost a little girlish while still being intensely adult and slightly reminiscent of a folky, 60's goddess.’
- ‘A formidable songstress in her own right, the West Philly native comes home for an intimate evening of folky soul.’
- ‘I'm so impressed with these guys folky side projects.’
- ‘It's a moody blend that makes me think of bands like the Rheostatics or other folky, 70's inspired bands.’
- ‘On the TV once, Donna Air's first question to folky siblings The Corrs was: ‘So how did you first meet?’’
- ‘I didn't fancy the look of the lyrics on the website, nor the description of his new album as ‘folk’, and the song itself is, well, folky.’
- ‘Although Copperspine is happy with this recent success, it's business as usual for them - they're sticking to their artist-centred, folky guns.’
- ‘Plenty of folky singer-songwriters have a reputation for making introspective, melancholy music, but none quite like Smith's.’
- ‘‘It was weird, we started getting all these reviews saying we were quite folky sounding,’ he says.’
- ‘Mary Lou's folky interpretations are not better than the originals; they're different, pared down, just a girl and a guitar.’
- ‘Her music, soft, almost folky, retains enough rhythm to be labelled rock, but throwing any clumsy label on it is not any critic's place.’
- ‘It gives a similar soothing and tranquil atmosphere but not boring, with its folky textures and jazz inflected sounds.’
- ‘Mercer's voice is unexpectedly beautiful with a great range, which lends a folky richness that works well for this catchy indie-rock band.’
- ‘The opening act was Amos Lee, an amazing, folky, charismatic singer/songwriter who was just accompanied by his guitar.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.