Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A song that originates in traditional popular culture or that is written in such a style.
song, folk song, shanty, ditty, canzoneView synonyms
- ‘Both Ruth and Charles also arranged folk songs into concert works, just as Copland did.’
- ‘American folk songs and patriotic songs played in the background but seemed strangely out of place in such an unfamiliar setting.’
- ‘To some extent, it's one of those pieces Vaughan Williams wrote to get English folk songs out to a wider audience.’
- ‘Contestants performed a variety of music from Thai pop songs to old folk songs or ballads from Isaan.’
- ‘He cherished some lovely old books containing the folk songs and traditional ballads of our land.’
- ‘If you don't know many, you can find plenty of CDs with silly songs, folk songs and children's songs.’
- ‘A folk singer dressed in traditional national costume sang a folk song, which originated from the region of Rhodope mountains.’
- ‘Whether she is singing a traditional folk song, a ballad, or a song with a message, Baez is a singer without compare.’
- ‘We use hymns, folk songs and socialist anthems in a male voice choir tradition.’
- ‘They play sort of heavy music, but the songs are Old Norwegian folk songs.’
- ‘Hundreds of North Koreans, including women in red traditional gowns, sang folk songs to greet her.’
- ‘Swinging on the cot the womenfolk and children used to sing traditional folk songs and enjoy the rides.’
- ‘Students will love this new collection filled with folk songs and children's songs.’
- ‘Traditional folk song festivals are popular events dating back to 1869.’
- ‘We did some concerts together, in which I paired some folk music with the Luciano Berio folk songs.’
- ‘At one point the actors begin to sing together, somewhat disjointedly in both a drinking song and a folk song.’
- ‘In this compilation, appropriate music has been added, often based on folk songs or popular songs of the time.’
- ‘The song is a traditional Ghanaian folk song with lyrics written by Ra'anan Alexandrowicz.’
- ‘Groups singing carols and folk songs to the beat of local musical instruments would arrive unannounced at any time of the night.’
- ‘Among the most popular styles of folk songs are love songs and patriotic songs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.