Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Music that originates in traditional popular culture or that is written in such a style. Folk music is typically of unknown authorship and is transmitted orally from generation to generation.
- ‘I have never owned or been interested in folk music, except Woody Guthrie, who transcends it.’
- ‘There are no simple explanations for the remarkable transformation of Celtic music from folk music to world music.’
- ‘This is folk music with an Eastern tinge to it, done by musicians in the deep American South.’
- ‘Scorcese managed to place the event in its true context by tracing Dylan's journey through folk music.’
- ‘What do we learn about the burgeoning folk music scene Dylan went on to define and later monopolise?’
- ‘Its tranquil moments convey a nostalgic yearning common to Japanese folk music.’
- ‘With a few exceptions the Orchestra's entire repertoire is traditional Russian folk music.’
- ‘It's with that in mind that Sokel plays everything from dub and reggae to pop and folk music.’
- ‘By its very nature, Irish traditional music is a folk music, simple and uncomplicated.’
- ‘The music accompanying the ballet will feature the style of Southeast China folk music.’
- ‘No one does a better job transforming folk music into something special than Sadikova.’
- ‘Most anyone with an ear for the more deranged side of folk music will find something to like.’
- ‘I guess, when it all comes down to it, I just want folk music to be around still.’
- ‘And these different genres, like folk music and dance music, come out of that.’
- ‘In the band Franco played all types of music on the accordion from Russian folk music to Beatles hits.’
- ‘The melodeon or German accordion is a single-action button accordion, very popular for folk music.’
- ‘I was mostly an acoustic guitar player and I listened to a lot of folk music.’
- ‘Folk music wouldn't be folk music without songs of political responsibility and social justice.’
- ‘When it all comes down to it, what I really want is folk music to still be around.’
- ‘Musically, the sextet mixes punk and ska with Klezmer and Eastern European folk music.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.