One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Treatment of disease or injury based on tradition, especially on oral tradition, rather than on modern scientific practice, and often utilizing indigenous plants as remedies.
- ‘The use of plant infusions to cure many different types of diseases is very common in Brazilian folk medicine.’
- ‘Apitherapy began as a form of folk medicine, and even today, many of the people using it for therapeutic purposes do it themselves.’
- ‘For the majority, there remained recourse to the popular healers of folk medicine.’
- ‘Perhaps a systematic examination of the legacy of folk medicine can yield new therapeutic insights.’
- ‘It's an intriguing mixture of folk medicine, professional medicine, and Roman Catholicism.’
- ‘North American pioneers are thought to have developed folk medicine by studying the plants sick animals made use of.’
- ‘Chapter 4 describes the history for the use of marijuana in folk medicine.’
- ‘He has approximately 30 people practicing the art of folk medicine in America.’
- ‘Massage is assumed to have developed from Chinese folk medicine.’
- ‘Dogbane is used in folk medicine as a diuretic, insecticide, and cardiac tonic, and for the treatment of haemorrhoids, epilepsy, eczema, and snakebite.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.