One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a lichen) having a lobed, leaflike shape.
- ‘This tome includes detailed entries on more than 800 foliose, fruticose, and crustose lichens.’
- ‘In foliose lichens, there is a second cortex below the medulla.’
- ‘G. mucronatus is common among algal mats and foliose macroalgae.’
- ‘Therefore, no data were available in these species for the developmental transition of meristem from the juvenile to the mature foliose root.’
- ‘The mechanism of the limpet effect involved sheltering of the limpet by the foliose fronds of this turf-forming alga.’
Early 18th century: from Latin foliosus, from folium ‘leaf’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.