Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Decorated with leaves or leaflike motifs.‘foliate scrolls’
- ‘Many interpretations of the meaning and origin of the Green Man have been offered since Lady Raglan first applied the term to the human foliate head.’
- ‘The fluted stiles are embellished with carved foliate scrolls.’
- ‘The lower tier of the fountain had intertwined dolphin supports and was raised on a finely cast foliate stem.’
- ‘Again, the foliate, grooved teeth do not meet diplodocomorph specs.’
- ‘Apart from foliate designs, Renaissance patterns diffused relatively slowly through northern Europe and Spain.’
- ‘At Osterley what are central fruiting grapevines in the carpet are foliate swags in the drawing.’
- ‘Set against white plaster walls, the bases and ornate foliate capitals of the columns were gilded, and their shafts were painted a ‘straw’ color.’
- ‘Somasteroids typically are foliate with ventral series of so-called virgals extending from ambulacrals to marginals.’
- ‘A foliate tricephalic form can be seen at Llandaff Cathedral.’
- ‘Most of Romsey's foliate heads are closer to animal than to human form: this one is very cat-like, and is the source of copious vegetation.’
- ‘Each portrait is encircled with a foliate wreath and surrounded by classical rinceaux against a Byzantine style gold background.’
- ‘Calculated tangles of foliate and linear patterns hug the edges of several of the paintings, thinning out toward the center.’
1Decorate with leaves or leaflike motifs.‘the dome is to be foliated’
- ‘The courtyard was foliated with multiple kinds of bushes and trees.’
- ‘The Santan Mountains study site is also primarily composed of granodiorite, but the boulders are not as extensive or foliated as in the South Mountains.’
2Number the leaves of (a book) rather than the pages.
- ‘The book was foliated in pencil below the text in the lower right-hand corner.’
- ‘The newly discovered manuscript had in fact been foliated and the figures are omitted from the plates.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin foliatus leaved from folium leaf.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.