Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A normal leaf, as opposed to petals and other modified leaves.
- ‘Rhizome bracts and culm sheaths are protective and supportive, while foliage leaf blades are responsible for photosynthesis.’
- ‘The plants of the second class had in addition one fully developed foliage leaf.’
- ‘In the case of the foliage leaf, this scale or undeveloped phyllomes has inherited a specialized ‘dab of meristem’.’
- ‘The long fimbriae of the foliage leaf sheaths also help to distinguish this species from others in southeastern Brazil.’
- ‘My suggestion is that every child of foliage leaf remains independent of its compound/simple phenotype.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.