One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Of or resembling a leaf or leaves.
- ‘Ulva (sea lettuce) and Enteromorpha (gut weed) are cosmopolitan, intertidal marine algae that display a foliaceous morphology in their natural environment.’
- ‘The large elongated conical monopleurid, Petalodontiafelixi, has an exterior marked by strong foliaceous growth rugae and indistinct longitudinal ribs.’
- 1.1Geology Consisting of thin sheets or laminae.
- ‘We observe many small, colorless scales of a foliaceous mineral.’
- ‘The distribution of species colony forms in the ordination suggests that the Tamana faunules are distinguished by more foliaceous species.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin foliaceus ‘leafy’ (from folium ‘leaf’) + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.