Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[as modifier] Relating to or concerned with the addition of recorded sound effects after the shooting of a film.‘the aural details that foley artists duplicate’
- ‘Most of the foley work was recorded in the same rooms where the scenes were actually shot.’
- ‘We did almost no foley work other than punch and stab sounds, and there was no ADR or looping of any kind.’
- ‘When you hear that sound in the movies, it is usually due to foley effects.’
- ‘Actors, foley artist and musician work well together and everyone looks as if they are having great fun.’
- ‘Dialogue was clear and the foley effects approached naturalism.’
Named after the inventor of the editing process.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.