One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The liver of a specially fattened goose or duck prepared as food.
- ‘The most well-known use for foie gras is the pate de foie gras, a rich pate containing at least 80% foie gras.’
- ‘Chef Dan Barber tells the story of a small farm in Spain that has found a humane way to produce foie gras.’
- 1.1short for pâté de foie gras
- ‘Place two pieces of sautéed pineapple in the center of a plate and top with a slice of foie gras.’
- ‘Gently press foie gras and vegetables into the meat and season with salt and pepper.’
- ‘As for the foie gras and truffle hamburger, small and raw on the inside, well, it lent a whole new meaning to the term fast food.’
- ‘Warm lobster salad and seared foie gras with dried cherries might make it a little easier to stay on that diet.’
- ‘In France dinner is always at a restaurant and I normally order foie gras and a sirloin steak.’
- ‘To assemble, place a foie gras slice in the center of each butternut squash ring.’
- ‘I adore foie gras, I revel in a roast chicken and I eat my steaks bloody.’
- ‘It is also present in cherries, so he put cherries and almonds together with a roasted foie gras dish.’
- ‘We both chose Fillet mignon on a potato and parsnip gratin with foie gras sauce as our main dish.’
- ‘A pressed slab of ham hock and foie gras were correct enough and their accompanying home-made piccalilli was bravely sour.’
- ‘The foie gras is the only appetizer that could have benefited from some tough love.’
- ‘A ravioli of foie gras, melon and light cheese tasted like mild soap.’
- ‘I will never forget the striped bass dish, or the beef, or the foie gras, or the oysters and pearls or the lobster.’
- ‘But that doesn't mean that there aren't lashings of lobster, foie gras and caviar on hand, too.’
- ‘I opted for a green salad with four kinds of cheese and foie gras with fruit.’
- ‘Tie the ends tightly with string to form the foie gras into a sausage shape.’
- ‘Place round slices of foie gras into the hollowed tuna slices to conceal the holes.’
- ‘Season and drizzle with the vinegar and lay the foie gras near the long edge of the plastic wrap.’
- ‘The menu for yesterday's flight included caviar, foie gras in puff pastry, lobster and beef filet.’
- ‘I'm very surprised because she clearly ate the entire ravioli dish, foie gras and all.’
French, ‘fat liver’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.