One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device making a loud, deep sound as a warning to ships in fog.
- ‘He was born by the sea; his childhood was filled with the sound of foghorns.’
- ‘My voice, although it was smaller than that of a mouse, sounded like a foghorn in the sterile silence of this place.’
- ‘‘Joy’ links a fluttery jungle beat with a distorted bass line that sounds like nothing so much as a foghorn.’
- ‘After this fun, a foghorn sounded to signal the beginning of a ‘self-guided’ walking tour.’
- ‘And it all happens at once, to the ear-splitting sound of an eight-headed foghorn and the ringing of a phone.’
- ‘Then, in the distance a foghorn wails and the roaming light of a lighthouse momentarily pierces the shadows.’
- ‘After a vessel-rattling blast of the foghorn, your boat moves out, opening up a view of the city that is just plain thrilling.’
- ‘Along the way they took recordings of the sounds of foghorns, lightships, coastguard stations and the voices of those who lived and worked there.’
- ‘The horn would sound like a miniature foghorn that had caught a bad cold.’
- ‘The ship's foghorn sounded mournfully into the mist.’
- ‘In contrast, though, the foghorn blast from a lighthouse is one of the most hellish things on Earth.’
- ‘Mr Davis said he sounded the foghorn and they shouted for help.’
- ‘We surfaced to a flat-calm sea beneath one of the peculiar Victorian foghorns.’
- ‘Elsewhere, dune sounds have been likened to drums, foghorns and trumpets, among other things.’
- ‘I could almost hear the two-tone foghorns knelling my demise.’
- ‘Leadri screamed in his ear, her voice not that far from the sound of a foghorn.’
- ‘I enjoy the city sounds of early morning, especially when the foghorns are in the mix.’
- ‘The sound effects are relatively basic as well, with consequent explosions, foghorn, and bird sounds sprinkled throughout.’
- ‘As the crowds steadily grew, whistles and foghorns sounded in the lead-up to the first speakers appearing on the stage.’
- ‘Short, mournful melodies emerge, like foghorns singing to themselves absent-mindedly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.