One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Unable to travel or function normally because of thick fog.
- ‘A sizable section of the French team was fogbound on the Faroe Islands yesterday.’
- ‘In its own insidious way, the movie exerts an oneiric pull, as hypnotic as the sight of Skull Island from the deck of the fogbound Venture.’
- ‘Through the closed windows came the occasional ‘peep’ of a fogbound wayfarer whistling for a hansom.’
- ‘I waited there like a fogbound ship looking for the flash of a lighthouse, some sense of direction, a beacon to steer by.’
- 1.1 Enveloped or obscured by fog.‘a fogbound forest’
- ‘According to Wratten's article, the Chinook was ‘some 15 seconds from the fogbound lighthouse and perilously close to steeply rising ground that was also shrouded in cloud’.’
- ‘Despite the fogbound capital, the event, held at the Petone rugby clubrooms, was a cracker.’
- ‘I'm heading 5373 miles west to spend Easter in fogbound San Francisco, because I can.’
- ‘Many sailors ran down the gangway Friday, carrying roses for their loved ones waiting on the fogbound shore.’
- ‘Episode 1 begins in fogbound East London, with Coal Hill School teachers Ian and Barbara concerned for the welfare of one of their brightest students.’
- ‘I got to know the fogbound salmon towns of Oregon and Washington - Moclips, Sekiu, and Tillamook - and I heard the stories of his trips to Prince Rupert and to Kodiak.’
- ‘And though much of the Peruvian seaside is often chilly, treacherous and fogbound, the country's ruling class has seen dollars in a wave swept shore.’
- ‘It was mid-November 1816, when Lord Byron, accompanied by his friend John Hobhouse, first stepped off a gondola onto the damp and fogbound flagstones of the Grand Canal.’
- ‘Others opt for tamer pickings, such as lobster mushrooms and summer chanterelles on the fogbound coast of Oregon.’
- ‘All this was a result of inclement weather and a fogbound Wellington Airport.’
- ‘All 29 people on board helicopter ZD576 died when it ploughed into a fogbound hillside.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.