Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The plane through the focus perpendicular to the axis of a mirror or lens.
- ‘Reciprocal linear dispersion indicates the width of spectrum that is spread over 1-mm at the focal plane.’
- ‘A lens focuses this light at the back focal plane of the objective to allow collimation at the sample.’
- ‘This shifted the buffer fluorescence away from the focal plane of the large core fibers.’
- ‘The laser beam for Raman excitation was focused to a static diffraction limited spot in the center of the focal plane.’
- ‘This distribution approximates the blurring of the microscope at different focal planes by varying the Gaussian width parameter.’
- ‘The fiber was brought into focus, and the bead was manipulated into the same focal plane.’
- ‘This focal plane is taken to correspond to the midsagittal plane of the vessel.’
- ‘Time-lapse microscopy in multiple focal planes was performed for analysis of embryogenesis and cytokinesis defects.’
- ‘Then, the cell- and bead-holding pipettes were carefully aligned to get the focal plane and the plane of cell-bead contact to coincide.’
- ‘These measurements were normalized to the diameter of the nucleus at the center focal plane.’
- ‘All measurements were made in the focal plane of the trapping/heating lasers, as per the figure in the Appendix.’
- ‘This setup captures only light from the focal plane, while out-of-focus Raman light and fluorescence background is strongly rejected.’
- ‘Optical focal planes near the surface of stage 17 embryos stained with anti-ß3 are shown.’
- ‘Because the reticle is in the first focal plane, the diameters of the circles are a constant 9’ at all ranges and powers.’
- ‘Fluorescent images were taken at different focal planes.’
- ‘Therefore the focal plane of the microscope was varied until an accidentally observed object had its greatest extension in that plane.’
- ‘When the bead moves relative to the trap, the distribution of light changes in the back focal plane of the condenser.’
- ‘Their method is different from this method because they break the Gaussian intensity distribution of illuminating laser on the focal plane.’
- ‘Uncooled focal planes have reached astonishing levels of performance.’
- ‘Incident light passes through a collimating lens and a computer-generated holographic disperser, then onto a focal plane array for detection.’
focal plane/ˈfōkəl plān/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.