Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of flat Italian bread made with yeast and olive oil and flavored with herbs.
- ‘Food includes hearty pizza and focaccia, and your wait staff all seem to know your name.’
- ‘As I sit, waiting patiently for the gnocchi, I am brought some soft, moist focaccia.’
- ‘While most are familiar with focaccia, the Italian flatbread, ciabatta was all new to me.’
- ‘How much oil should you drizzle on your focaccia?’
- ‘Next-door is the chilled out Meet Café, which does light snacks on Italian lines including focaccia and panini sandwiches.’
- ‘It was at the farmer's market that we first discovered that our favorite bread maker was offering a bunch of different kinds of bread, not just focaccia.’
- ‘The store offers either pita bread or Italian focaccia stuffed with beef, chicken or tuna.’
- ‘Give focaccia and ciabatta a rest and try Melba toast for a change - but make it the easy way.’
- ‘Flutes of champagne are offered before each meal, and little stacks of focaccia for clearing the palate.’
- ‘The cheeses you eat with your focaccia are obviously up to you.’
- ‘I am much more likely to turn to the soda bread, or maybe the spongy, airy focaccia.’
- ‘There is the bread shop on the corner, where my roommate Erin tried her first pizza bianca - focaccia topped with rosemary and oil.’
- ‘This was, of course, back in the days before focaccia bread and hummus, when all Sainsbury's sold was rabbits.’
- ‘If you are seriously on the hoof, then you can have sandwiches, freshly made as you watch, with ciabatta, focaccia, or baguettes.’
- ‘In addition, they'll receive a variety of home-made mixes for breads, muffins, brownies and focaccia.’
- ‘I went for the latter, a delicious little focaccia.’
- ‘Here's how to knead yeast doughs like focaccia.’
- ‘I love Italian focaccia bread and this was my first time baking one on my own.’
- ‘It adds robust flavor to focaccia, homemade breadsticks or quick breads such as biscuits or scones.’
- ‘Then they had some seafood with a light salad, focaccia bread and a smooth white Chianti to wash it down.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.