One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spongy material made of rubber or plastic in the form of foam, used for cushioning and in upholstery.
- ‘The toys are beautifully packaged, with a foam rubber framework inside the box holding them all securely.’
- ‘He slaps a wide slab of tan-colored, hard foam rubber on his workbench.’
- ‘The high detail allows you to see every wrinkle in the foam rubber 'alligator' hide.’
- ‘Floating covers of low-density synthetic foam rubber are effective for controlling evaporation from vertical walled open-topped storage.’
- ‘Thin sheets of dried foam rubber (detailed with scales, hair, etc.) can be wrapped around the muscles.’
- ‘I used to use a heavy piece of glass on foam rubber for my proof prints.’
- ‘The material is whipped with air to form a foam, which is heated to produce foam rubber.’
- ‘A bolete has a mass of tubes, looking rather like foam rubber.’
- ‘The inside of the box had been filled with foam rubber.’
- ‘You can insulate your pipes with foam rubber sleeves or fiberglass insulation, wrapping the insulating material around the pipes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.