One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An aircraft with little or no fuselage and no vertical airfoil.
- ‘The second is yet another radical new design: a flying wing shaped like the B - 2 bomber.’
- ‘Crosby joined Northrop as part of the war effort and became a test pilot on some of the company's flying wing designs.’
- ‘The C - 130 leadership faced the significant task of consolidating aircraft and people from seven flying wings into four operational airlift and maintenance squadrons.’
- ‘For the past decade, Boeing has been developing an alternative plane known as the Blended Wing Body - an aircraft that looks like a flying wing.’
- ‘All 25 flying wings of the reserve, a total of 30,000 personnel, were mobilized, plus nearly 119,000 individual reservists.’
- ‘The lightweight flying wing took off from PMRF at about 4: 00 p.m.’
- ‘Among the many rare aircraft taking to the air will be the Northrop N9M flying wing and Mitsubishi A6M - 5 Zero.’
- ‘Of course, it wasn't a true flying wing but the plane would test Northrop's theories about such a craft.’
- ‘Mercifully, the authorities decided to do a quick police investigation before deploying a flying wing bearing nuclear weapons.’
- ‘The elimination of vertical control surfaces in the B-2 ‘flying wing’ design is not new; a flying wing was built by Northrop immediately after WW II.’
- ‘Instead it is essentially a flying wing, with its engines mounted on top of the plane, to direct noise away from the ground.’
- ‘Northrop would go on to operate several of his own companies and was, of course, the main proponent behind the flying wing concept.’
- ‘This 1932 Los Angeles resident displays his concept aircraft of a flying wing driven by four ‘aerial screws.’’
- ‘It relied on its flying wing design and single Walter R II - 203 rocket engine to produce astonishing performance.’
- ‘Some of their more radical designs, such as the Gotha flying wing concept, would not be realized until many years after World War II.’
- ‘And in our design we mount the engines on the top of the flying wing and therefore the airframe itself will shield a lot of the noise for people on the ground.’
- ‘However, Northrop had started his own company and was intent on developing a flying wing but he did not want to give up on developing ‘conventional’ high-performance aircraft.’
- ‘As a former commander of three flying wings and a numbered air force, Gen Hess takes the fatalities behind safety statistics personally, as do all commanders.’
- ‘The lightweight flying wing had taken off from PMRF at about 5 a.m.’
- ‘Two designs were conventional bombers in the mold of the B-29, while the more radical designs were the Northrop flying wing and the Boeing swept wing jet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.