Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tree-dwelling lemurlike mammal with a membrane between the fore- and hind limbs for gliding from tree to tree. It is nocturnal and native to Southeast Asia.Also called colugo
- ‘All models find the same arrangement for the primates and the Malayan flying lemur, with the flying lemur separating the anthropoids from the other primates.’
- ‘They proposed a monophyletic clade that includes primates, the tree shrew, the flying lemur, rabbit, and rodents.’
- ‘On the other hand, in Euarchontoglires (rodents, rabbits, primates, flying lemurs, and tree shrews), all recognized Alu-SINE subfamilies are distributed exclusively among primate genomes.’
- ‘The most common assumption from anatomical evidence has been that they group with primates, flying lemurs, and tree shrews, forming the Archonta.’
- ‘So I didn't get to see the umpteen varieties of lizards, snakes, flying lemur or pangolin, which are reputed to haunt the forests.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.