One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pilot, especially one in the air force.
airman, airwoman, flyer, aeronautView synonyms
- ‘No doubt was in the corpulent man that the fly boys were snoozing away, most likely recovering from intoxication from their little victory celebration earlier today.’
- ‘It was 100 years ago this month that Orville and Wilbur Wright became famed fly boys, inventing what they call a flying machine.’
- ‘‘Commander, think fast,’ Alison said as she bumped into the former fly boy.’
- ‘‘I ran away to become a fly boy,’ he said mischievously.’
- ‘At first he'd wondered if the clean-cut fly boys who risked their lives making low altitude parachute drops behind the iron curtain knew what their cargo was.’
- ‘I'll tell ya, nothin more eye opening than a couple of them fly boys droppin’ a few Napes right on your bacon.’
- ‘The Army boys showed Air Force how to play basketball at the recent 2003 NSW Inter-service Basketball Competition, beating the fly boys 65-58 and stealing the title for the first time in nine years.’
- ‘Neither one of them was used to dealing with dead bodies; fly boys dropped bombs, but never saw the bodies, and psychiatrists rarely had to kill their patients.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.