One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ball batted high into the air.‘he lifted a fly ball to right center that should have been caught’
- ‘The batter hits a fly ball to the center fielder who thinks his catch would make it three nuts.’
- ‘Some of my line drives and fly balls that would have been home runs in other ballparks were against the fence for doubles in Washington.’
- ‘Watching games at these hitter-friendly stadiums is like watching Wiffle Ball or softball - with routine fly balls being home runs.’
- ‘Basically, Rusch is a guy who gives up a disproportionate number of line drives, and line drives aren't converted to outs nearly as frequently as grounders or fly balls.’
- ‘Brett hit a couple of warning-track fly balls in those last few games that died in the Midwestern wind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.