One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ash produced in small dark flecks, typically from a furnace, and carried into the air.
- ‘Embedded in the concrete floors (made of 45 percent recycled fly ash, the waste material from burned coal), the heating system warms up the flooring.’
- ‘Some contractors rework soft spots in the subgrade material, mixing quicklime (hydrated lime) or fly ash into the material to help dry it out or bind it together.’
- ‘Recycling remains the Number 1 priority and in the Netherlands 79% of waste from clothing to paper, glass, food waste, bottom ash and fly ash is recycled.’
- ‘The concrete contains 50 percent fly ash in the cement to reduce the use of carbon-dioxide-producing Portland cement.’
- ‘For rigid pavement construction in a large scale, part replacement of cement by dry fly ash is found acceptable.’
- ‘The chemical characteristics of fly ash depend on the source of the coal.’
- ‘For instance, fly ash has replaced cement in a huge way in the rest of the globe.’
- ‘He also found a method to make slabs using fly ash, another waste material generated by thermal power generation plants.’
- ‘Environmental campaigners are celebrating a victory after a decision yesterday to stop the dumping of incinerator fly ash containing potential lethal substances on Red Moss Tip in Horwich.’
- ‘The concrete used for the floor slabs contains 15 to 25 percent fly ash, a waste material from coal-burning power plants.’
- ‘Finishability is improved by adding other cementitious materials, such as fly ash.’
- ‘It's sustainable because the materials that go into it, other than cement and admixtures, are locally produced, and we can incorporate recycled materials, like fly ash and slag, into concrete.’
- ‘Frequently concrete mix designs include recycled materials, such as fly ash or recycled aggregate.’
- ‘Comprised primarily of soot, sulfates, nitrates, fly ash, and organic particles, aerosols both absorb significant amounts of light and scatter sunlight back into the atmosphere.’
- ‘One member created an alternative cement for the concrete floor of our sauna, using fly ash (from coal burning plants, not waste dumps!), citric acid, lye, and borax.’
- ‘The brick specimens are moulded by combining the black cotton soil and fly ash in different proportions, and baked after being dried.’
- ‘Thirdly, reduce the clinker content in cement, by intergrinding cementious material like slag, fly ash, or limestone.’
- ‘Mrs Livingstone said despite up-to-date technology, incinerators produced large amounts of particulates as would lorries taking bottom ash and fly ash from the proposed Belvedere incinerator.’
- ‘The fly ash is the material that differentiates ACC from AAC.’
- ‘There are viable alternatives for sand such as fly ash and M-sand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.