One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ash produced in small dark flecks, typically from a furnace, and carried into the air.
- ‘Embedded in the concrete floors (made of 45 percent recycled fly ash, the waste material from burned coal), the heating system warms up the flooring.’
- ‘The concrete used for the floor slabs contains 15 to 25 percent fly ash, a waste material from coal-burning power plants.’
- ‘The concrete contains 50 percent fly ash in the cement to reduce the use of carbon-dioxide-producing Portland cement.’
- ‘Finishability is improved by adding other cementitious materials, such as fly ash.’
- ‘It's sustainable because the materials that go into it, other than cement and admixtures, are locally produced, and we can incorporate recycled materials, like fly ash and slag, into concrete.’
- ‘For rigid pavement construction in a large scale, part replacement of cement by dry fly ash is found acceptable.’
- ‘The chemical characteristics of fly ash depend on the source of the coal.’
- ‘Frequently concrete mix designs include recycled materials, such as fly ash or recycled aggregate.’
- ‘Environmental campaigners are celebrating a victory after a decision yesterday to stop the dumping of incinerator fly ash containing potential lethal substances on Red Moss Tip in Horwich.’
- ‘One member created an alternative cement for the concrete floor of our sauna, using fly ash (from coal burning plants, not waste dumps!), citric acid, lye, and borax.’
- ‘Thirdly, reduce the clinker content in cement, by intergrinding cementious material like slag, fly ash, or limestone.’
- ‘Comprised primarily of soot, sulfates, nitrates, fly ash, and organic particles, aerosols both absorb significant amounts of light and scatter sunlight back into the atmosphere.’
- ‘Recycling remains the Number 1 priority and in the Netherlands 79% of waste from clothing to paper, glass, food waste, bottom ash and fly ash is recycled.’
- ‘He also found a method to make slabs using fly ash, another waste material generated by thermal power generation plants.’
- ‘Some contractors rework soft spots in the subgrade material, mixing quicklime (hydrated lime) or fly ash into the material to help dry it out or bind it together.’
- ‘Mrs Livingstone said despite up-to-date technology, incinerators produced large amounts of particulates as would lorries taking bottom ash and fly ash from the proposed Belvedere incinerator.’
- ‘There are viable alternatives for sand such as fly ash and M-sand.’
- ‘For instance, fly ash has replaced cement in a huge way in the rest of the globe.’
- ‘The fly ash is the material that differentiates ACC from AAC.’
- ‘The brick specimens are moulded by combining the black cotton soil and fly ash in different proportions, and baked after being dried.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.