Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Dump waste illegally.
- ‘The government also announced new measures to control illegal dumping of waste, known as fly-tipping.’
- ‘But traders were the worst culprits in the battle against fly-tipping.’
- ‘Farmers could soon face the new financial threat of having to pay for the removal of rubbish fly-tipped on their land.’
- ‘Residents continually complain to me about fly-tipping.’
- ‘If farmers were required to be responsible to deal with fly-tipping, how many trailers and tractors do you think would be required?’
- ‘Unlike the Environmental Police Force in Amsterdam, their remit doesn't extend to crimes such as flyposting, fly-tipping and graffiti.’
- ‘City council bosses are urging anyone who witnesses fly-tipping to pick up the phone and call the hotline.’
- ‘I would understand if we were fly-tipping, but I was doing it on my own land.’
- ‘The council will have to address this problem if they don't want fly-tipping all over the borough.’
- ‘Some businesses now prefer to risk fly-tipping rather than dispose of their waste in the normal way.’
- ‘But during this time some of it was taken and fly-tipped in a field off Holtby Lane.’
- ‘People who fly-tip should be hit in the pocket with fines or something like that, rather than everybody else having to suffer.’
- ‘There will also be a number of skips dotted around the estate for the day for residents to deposit bulkier waste and reduce the temptation to fly-tip.’
- ‘If someone is trespassing, fly-tipping and causing damage to council property and a public nuisance, there is no argument, minority group or not.’
- ‘He said: ‘I think it is getting worse because the cost of tipping has increased, so for some businesses it is easier to fly-tip.’’
- ‘By charging people for household waste, wouldn't this lead to an increase in fly-tipping?’
- ‘As it is the centre's grounds are neglected, unkempt, and subject to fly-tipping.’
- ‘In a major national campaign organised by Keep Britain Tidy, people are being asked to ring a hotline number and report on those they catch fly-tipping.’
- ‘But when the council said that he had been fly-tipping, he begged to differ.’
- ‘The area has been plagued by fly-tipping and motorists emptying rubbish from cars.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.