One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Open and close one's eyes rapidly in a coyly flirtatious manner.
- ‘Scarcely an exchange goes by without her flashing her top teeth, fluttering her eyelashes, pursing her lips or cocking her head with a teasing playfulness.’
- ‘You'll just simper and flutter your eyelashes coyly.’
- ‘I stood and watched as she flicked her hair over her shoulder and fluttered her eyelashes at the closest guy.’
- ‘Smiling, I tilted my head toward him and fluttered my eyelashes in what I hoped was a flirty manner.’
- ‘They fluttered their eyelashes at him from afar.’
- ‘He knows that he can cruise up on stage, croon out any old rubbish, flutter his eyelashes at the camera and get ten billion votes as a result.’
- ‘I can be one of the boys, but when I want something I can flutter my eyelashes too.’
- ‘She fluttered her eyelashes at Mark, and he blushed again and fumbled for his wallet.’
- ‘She gave him a flirtatious grin, fluttering her eyelashes just a little for effect.’
- ‘All she had to do was flutter her eyelashes and he'd do anything for her.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.