One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound which inhibits the uptake of serotonin in the brain and is taken to treat depression.Also called Prozac (a trademark)
- ‘The serotonin transporter can be selectively inhibited by antidepressant drugs such as fluoxetine and citalopram.’
- ‘He was also taking leflunomide, prednisone, naproxen, diazepam, fluoxetine, famotidine, and metoprolol, and acetaminophen or codeine.’
- ‘Imipramine was the most commonly studied tricyclic antidepressant, and fluoxetine was the most commonly studied SSRI.’
- ‘The SSRI class includes citalopram, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, and sertraline.’
- ‘The selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor fluoxetine is effective in this age group.’
1970s: from fluo(rine) + ox(y) + -etine (perhaps from e + a blend of toluene and amine).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.