Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument for measuring the intensity of fluorescence, used chiefly in biochemical analysis.
- ‘The fluorescence measured by the fluorimeter is the sum of autofluorescence from natural chromophores in the skin and PpIX fluorescence.’
- ‘The advantage that fluorescence imaging instruments have over conventional fluorometers is that images of fluorescence parameters can be obtained from whole leaves or large numbers of plants.’
- ‘The lamp intensity of the fluorometer was monitored for each sample.’
- ‘These instruments also have built-in fluorimeters that detect fluorescence emitted from nucleic probes annealed to target DNA at the conclusion of each PCR cycle.’
- ‘The fumonisin was eluted with pure methanol and measured in a calibrated fluorometer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.