One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An irregular rising and falling in number or amount; a variation.‘fluctuations in the yearly values could be caused by a variety of factors’‘the current fluctuation in energy prices’
variation, shift, change, alteration, swing, movement, oscillation, undulation, alternation, rise and fall, rising and falling, see-sawing, yo-yoing, instability, unsteadinessView synonyms
- ‘Supply and demand regulate nothing but the temporary fluctuations of market prices.’
- ‘How many cents constitute a dollar is no more subject to daily fluctuation and uncertainty than inches in terms of yards.’
- ‘They are unique because there is no other retail section in which price fluctuations are the accepted norm.’
- ‘This system stabilizes our market more than the US market and fluctuations have not been as great.’
- ‘See also here for the real explanation of earth's temperature fluctuations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.