One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rock deposited as a thin sheet by precipitation from flowing water.
- ‘Cave walls down which water habitually runs may become covered with sheets of travertine flowstone.’
- ‘Sheet-like layered deposits on cave walls or floors are called flowstone.’
- ‘Our last station was a bit awkward as we had to lie on flowstone with a thin sheet of water flowing over it, but at least it was the last station.’
- ‘The cavern abounds in apparent waterfalls, veils, and tents of colored stone, known as flowstone.’
- ‘Nine metres down it is possible to get off the ladder on to a ledge of jammed rocks and enter a parallel aven, with much flowstone on the walls and water entering at the top.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.