One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rock deposited as a thin sheet by precipitation from flowing water.
- ‘Nine metres down it is possible to get off the ladder on to a ledge of jammed rocks and enter a parallel aven, with much flowstone on the walls and water entering at the top.’
- ‘Cave walls down which water habitually runs may become covered with sheets of travertine flowstone.’
- ‘Sheet-like layered deposits on cave walls or floors are called flowstone.’
- ‘The cavern abounds in apparent waterfalls, veils, and tents of colored stone, known as flowstone.’
- ‘Our last station was a bit awkward as we had to lie on flowstone with a thin sheet of water flowing over it, but at least it was the last station.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.