One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very small songbird with a short bill and tail, feeding chiefly on insects in flowers and found in Australasia and Southeast Asia.
Family Dicaeidae (the flowerpecker family): two genera, especially Dicaeum. The flowerpecker family also includes the pardalotes and the mistletoe bird
- ‘I wondered if it had been a flowerpecker, but I was almost certain the head was entirely red, and the back wasn't the dark, flat blue of a flowerpecker.’
- ‘Just on the other side of one window was a fruiting shrub that attracted two species of leaf birds, as well as orange-bellied flowerpeckers.’
- ‘Fruits displayed on the tips of branches are available primarily to small birds-the flowerpeckers, mynas and delicate, hovering sunbirds that can feed on the wing.’
- ‘Some groups (e.g. sunbirds, flowerpeckers) have keys to identification.’
- ‘Even more salutary was the case of the four-coloured flowerpecker, thought to be extinct on the grounds that the Philippine island of Cebu, its only habitat, had been deforested.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.