Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant that produces flowers; an angiosperm.
- ‘Ray's plant classification system was the first to divide flowering plants into monocots and dicots.’
- ‘The back garden is laid in lawn and includes mature pines, shrubs and flowering plants.’
- ‘Orchids, flowering plants and fruit-bearing trees have been combined to green the area.’
- ‘Trees, shrubs, flowering plants were brought by a good number of people and the fund raiser was a good success.’
- ‘The driveway is flanked by trees, flowering plants and shrubs as well as an expansive manicured lawn.’
- ‘This, in turn was surrounded by several whorls of bracts that many homologize with petals and sepals in flowering plants.’
- ‘Trees, shrubs, bushes and flowering plants were being planted on the graves.’
- ‘The majority of flowering plants produce multicellular trichomes.’
- ‘The gardens are mainly in lawn with flowering plants, shrubs, trees and an enclosed rear yard.’
- ‘The proportion of flowers and ovules that develop into fruits and seeds in flowering plants rarely reaches 1.’
- ‘It is well known that most flowering plants produce more ovules than the number of seeds they mature.’
- ‘Those with spacious yards have large trees, like fruit tree, while others have flowering plants or potted plants.’
- ‘Within the Antarctic Circle there are no trees, no flowering plants, no grasses.’
- ‘The pollen grain is the male gametophytic phase of flowering plants.’
- ‘Many flowering plants bear trichomes, modified epidermal structures on their aerial surfaces.’
- ‘Combine flowering plants with interesting foliage textures and colors.’
- ‘In maize, as in all flowering plants, the seed develops inside a coat of maternal origin.’
- ‘There is a small front garden, planted with a variety of flowering plants and shrubs, that provides private parking.’
- ‘In flowering plants, pollen development represents a good model to study cell communication and signalling as well as cell elongation.’
- ‘A major change in terrestrial vegetation took place in the Cretaceous with the evolution of the angiosperms, or flowering plants.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.