Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A compact mass of flowers at the top of a stem, especially a capitulum.
- ‘This species has sweet and palatable bulbs and also bears clusters of bulbils at the flower head.’
- ‘Eggs are deposited among the florets on the face of the flower head.’
- ‘The flower head is small, initially no more than an inch across.’
- ‘She perched on the edge of the fountain, snapping off a flower head as she passed.’
- ‘The pipewort family, whose plants put forth a single flower head on one stem, is well represented by three kinds of pipeworts, at least two kinds of bog-buttons, and one species of hatpins.’
- ‘To try your luck, remove the flower head after the petals fade, let the tulips complete their life cycle, then plant outdoors.’
- ‘Seeds were collected from these two rows of the flower head only and at defined days after anthesis.’
- ‘When the flowers begin to fade and before a seed pod forms, cut the flower head… but be careful to leave the foliage to die back naturally.’
- ‘From the Asiatics, the new hybrids inherit their warmer colors and upright calyx (the green outer spiral of leaf that holds the flower head up).’
- ‘Heads of bell-shaped pendant drops form the flower head.’
- ‘Once a flower head has reached the point where its seeds are mature, the plant will usually stop producing flowers.’
- ‘Alternatively you can make squares to stick on the front of the cards with a flower head or some other decoration.’
- ‘In broccoli and cauliflower, the damage is indirect because caterpillars eat the leaves and not the commercial flower head.’
- ‘The flower head consists of a spathe and spadix.’
- ‘Pinch the stem under the flower head firmly and give it a snap.’
- ‘We allowed the female to remain on the senesced plant, while we introduced a male to the stem of the healthy plant, immediately below the flower head.’
- ‘If you look closely at the flower head you can see lots of bulbils forming - each one of those will grow into a new plant if it gets the chance.’
- ‘Let's move on to consider the shot of a single flower head.’
- ‘It relates to the disposition of leaves on a stem and seeds in a flower head.’
- ‘Leeks will reseed, and they have a beautiful flower head.’
flower head/ˈflou(ə)r ˌhed/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.