Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A garden plot in which flowers are grown.
- ‘But in a perennial flower bed, you might want something more permanent and decorative.’
- ‘It is hoped the new community garden will include a large flower bed and water feature.’
- ‘The flower bed in the front garden is being strangled by a vine-like weed that wraps itself around all my plants.’
- ‘Use them to blanket a problem slope or fill a new flower bed in a hurry.’
- ‘If weeding a large flower bed, you can use a hoe, but take care not to damage the roots of the plants around them.’
- ‘I planted the same plants at the other end of the flower bed and both pink and white varieties are doing fine.’
- ‘One is in a flower bed, the other potted and in the house.’
- ‘Stewy was discovered just before midnight, in a flower bed in the garden of Shaz's house four miles away.’
- ‘The key to all this is picturing in your mind the flower bed in the spring when the only thing popping out are the bulbs you have planted.’
- ‘Your early-purchased tomato plants can be put into large containers, set into the ground in sheltered parts of the garden or even planted in the flower bed.’
- ‘It softens the stone of the pathway and in the flower bed, acts as a living mulch - no more weeds to pull!’
- ‘The rear garden has a raised flower bed and gravel area which is suitable for al fresco dining.’
- ‘After seeing pictures of red sedum with nice red blooms, I planted some in my front flower bed.’
- ‘But realizing that variety also creates interest, she decided to draw special attention to a recessed flower bed by changing her choice of mulch in that one garden.’
- ‘While not particularly attractive for a flower bed, they work wonderfully in the vegetable garden.’
- ‘I've got some kitschy little garden ornaments in the flower bed.’
- ‘If you're photographing a flower bed, look around.’
- ‘If you are planting a flower bed, at least make a rough map showing by location the colors and foliage types you'd like to display.’
- ‘I have two camellia bushes that are very old and planted in the flower bed by the front porch.’
- ‘A ten percent germination rate can leave a lot of bare soil in a flower bed, or lead to a disappointment of broccoli.’
flower bed/ˈflou(ə)r ˌbed/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.