One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Of or like floss.‘short flossy curls’
- ‘On a good day, its coat would have been a pure flossy white, but you wouldn't know from looking at it.’
- ‘I also have an increasing problem with black stringy flossy stuff appearing.’
- ‘Her short hair looked soft and flossy in the late afternoon sunshine glinting through the second-storey window, shining on the golden waves.’
- ‘There's some kind of flossy stuff on my fish's body.’
- ‘It is not as displayable as a silver candy dish and I am afraid that people will think I'm crazy if they know that I've kept your stained gown and hold it up to my face and finger the flossy tie strings.’
2North American informal Excessively showy.‘she cultivated flossy friends’‘the flossy gleam of a cheap suit’
- ‘Or is it because they didn't want to mess up their flossy clothes and track bikes?’
- ‘I like this CD because it has a nice blend of serious songs and the flossy stuff I like.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.