One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The boards or other material of which a floor is made.
- ‘Metal, glass-topped tables look cool and sophisticated and for floorings, natural terranova stone, polished limestone tiles or pale wooden floors complete the crisp, modern look.’
- ‘The points of my heels tapped softly against the wood floorings, the boards rasping gently with age.’
- ‘It cannot be removed as easily as other floorings, should you decide to install another floor at a later date.’
- ‘The sitting room, which looks out onto the busy Athy Carlow road, comes with timber laminated flooring, open fireplace and tongue and groove ceiling.’
- ‘There are some differences, however, mainly in the fact that the thicker unfinished strip floorings require a special nailing gun for proper application.’
- ‘After finding a matching stain color by experimenting on scraps of flooring, stain the boards to match the original floor.’
- ‘Only a minority are cut into sawlog and made into high value furniture, flooring or building materials.’
- ‘This bright space has Junkers wooden flooring, intricate ceiling plasterwork and a vaulted glazed ceiling with spotlighting.’
- ‘There is a wide choice of flooring materials to use.’
- ‘She offers advice on colors, hardwood floor designs, matching your floorcovering to your lifestyle, the relative noise levels of different floorings, and even cleaning and maintenance.’
- ‘Linoleum and vinyl aren't new to the commercial market segment, but like other resilient floorings they're enjoying renewed popularity thanks to new designs, better performance and fewer maintenance hassles.’
- ‘Other types of tiled floorings or even wooden flooring can have a direct effect on the surface because of the expansion and contraction of the flooring material.’
- ‘Two weeks later when all the walls were fully painted and the smell was gone, the floorings were placed, the centralized air conditioning was installed, and the furniture was all set.’
- ‘The homes also have wool carpeting and floorings made of bamboo or cork as alternatives to traditional carpeting made from synthetics, which gives off noxious gases.’
- ‘There are four kinds of people in the world and none of them have alabaster sand floorings.’
- ‘You can get the look of wood, ceramic tile, or stone using laminate flooring.’
- ‘You may need to use a piece of finished flooring material if the floor has not yet been installed.’
- ‘These floorings are durable and low maintenance and easier to replace than ceramic if damaged.’
- ‘The foundation of the building and its lowest level of flooring were made of reinforced concrete.’
- ‘The most popular styles of hardwood flooring are parquet, strip and plank.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.