One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A public holiday that does not fall on the same numeric date each year, such as the US Thanksgiving, which always falls on the fourth Thursday of November.
- ‘Columbus Day is a floating holiday, it is always on Monday.’
- ‘However, while seasonal adjustment is very common and necessary, it doesn't always work for data like retail sales, which can be significantly affected by floating holidays like Easter.’
- ‘Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Thanksgiving is a "floating" holiday (ie, not held on the same date each year).’
- ‘Even in Canada, Thanksgiving is a floating holiday.’
2A paid day off from work, given as a substitution for a public holiday and typically taken on a day chosen by the employee.
- ‘At the Manhattan headquarters, Dr. King's birthday is a "floating holiday," one of several workers can choose to take off during the year.’
- ‘Employees can choose two floating holidays from among several, including the King holiday, Passover, Good Friday and Columbus Day.’
- ‘In January, a resolution allowing county employees to use the day as a floating holiday failed by one vote.’
- ‘"Some employers are also offering their senior executives flexible work options in compressed work-weeks, in telecommuting, in floating holidays and in job-sharing and part-time work."’
- ‘Workers also received a floating holiday meant to answer the demands by various immigrant groups in the union for time off for days celebrating important cultural events.’
- ‘Look folks, we don't get another day off from work until Labor Day, and my boss won't let me use Neptunalia or Tisha B'av as a floating holiday.’
- ‘Workers in 11 North Carolina counties walked out on strike over low wages and management's attempt to cut sick days, emergency medical leave, and a floating holiday, and implement forced overtime.’
- ‘I will, however, be able to take a floating holiday sometime between now and August 1 in lieu of MLK Day, which is nice.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.