Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a mode of representing numbers as two sequences of bits, one representing the digits in the number and the other an exponent that determines the position of the radix point.‘speeds of more than one million floating-point operations per second’Often contrasted with fixed point
- ‘Dr. Webb is correct; the first computer with hardware for floating-point arithmetic was the IBM 704, a vacuum-tube and punchcard machine from the 1950s.’
- ‘The rest of the benchmarks we used are all centered on testing the floating-point performance of the CPU by a highly optimized mathematical-based set of benchmarks.’
- ‘And these cameras are cheap, costing no more than a few hundred dollars despite the fact that each runs at more than 50 gigaflops 50 billion floating-point operations per second.’
- ‘Values are reserved for representing simple data types such as integers and floating-point values.’
- ‘This operation receives an input message with floating-point amount and string zip, and an output message with floating-point rate and integer tax.’
- ‘Moreover, Far Cry is one of the few existing games that support floating-point color representation.’
- ‘The chip performs extremely well on tasks where the instructions and data can be entirely cached and no floating-point operations are involved.’
- ‘The Cell processor has impressive streaming floating-point power that is of limited use for games.’
- ‘In the 1980s, personal computers, for example, often contained separate processors for floating-point operations and integer operations.’
- ‘Our process has three data types: single floating-point numbers, triplets of numbers and strings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.