One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A one-piece garment worn by the pilot and crew of a military or light aircraft.
- ‘After four decades and half a dozen space flights - including a moonwalk and the first Shuttle mission veteran NASA astronaut John Young is hanging up his flight suit.’
- ‘He quietly gathers his clothes so he doesn't wake his pregnant wife, Kelly, then showers, dons his tailored flight suit and silently shuffles out his bedroom door.’
- ‘The older of the two wore a worn flight suit with his name on the right breast pocket.’
- ‘Because of his enormous flight potential and commitment to Axis, no official has confined him to wearing a standard flight suit, so his scruffy attire is normally par for the course.’
- ‘I left a jet at 18,000 feet and 380 knots in January over Dixie Valley, wearing a flight suit, gloves, T-shirt, briefs, cotton socks and summer boots.’
- ‘He dressed W up in a military flight suit, put him in a fighter jet, and swooshed him out to the carrier, making a dramatic, made-for-TV, tail hook landing.’
- ‘Chris said a paraglider pilot should strongly consider attaching his hook knife to his flight suit and not to his harness.’
- ‘Bush made his appearance aboard the aircraft carrier in a navy flight suit.’
- ‘‘These new uniforms really don't sit well with me,’ Gabriel mumbled, looking at the plastic-wrapped flight suit.’
- ‘After all, if putting on boots and a ten-gallon hat can make you into a cowboy, and wearing a flight suit can turn you into a pilot, it isn't too much of a stretch to believe that wearing a press badge can make you into a journalist.’
- ‘‘Sure, whatever,’ Silhouette said, adjusting her blue and black flight suit.’
- ‘Quickly he donned his light grey one-piece flight suit, the colour for Cadets, and ran to his assigned fighter plane.’
- ‘The darker uniforms - the black flight suit, the woodland camouflage uniform and the monotone grey urban camouflage uniform-blended the poorest across the three day sites.’
- ‘When flying, the pilots wore mostly whatever they wanted underneath the flight suit.’
- ‘He undid the top half of his one-piece flight suit and tied it around his waist.’
- ‘I don't believe it's patriotic to dress up in a flight suit and prance around on the deck of an aircraft carrier.’
- ‘More people were filing in, most of them in jeans, leather, rubber, or uniforms, including a tall, gray-haired man in a black flight suit, and a skinhead couple who looked like twins.’
- ‘Some recognized his flight suit at the dinner table and asked, ‘Was that you I saw overhead today?’’
- ‘I'd imagine him giving Hershey bars to little kids - he said he always carried some in the leg pocket of his flight suit, because little girls like me didn't always get enough to eat.’
- ‘Sure enough, the cuff on the sleeve of my flight suit caught the switch and pulled it off - something I would not have noticed in my haste to reset the breakers during my original flap problem.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.