One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short jacket, typically leather, tightly gathered at the waist and cuffs by elasticated bands and having a zip front.
- ‘It was a young officer, tall, good looking, with a full set of wings on his tunic and wearing a flying jacket over the top.’
- ‘The opening shock dislodged my escape pack from the pocket inside my flight jacket.’
- ‘Frozen in time alongside the victims were poignant reminders of young lives cut short: A flying jacket, a toothbrush, a birthday watch.’
- ‘He opened her closet, collected his flight jacket, and strolled back to his car.’
- ‘The politician in his dark-blue suit and pink tie and the rock star in leather flying jacket and wraparound sunglasses hug one another as enthusiastically as long-lost cousins.’
- ‘He said something, trying to be polite, no doubt, but I was busy adjusting things that needed to be adjusted in various inner pockets of my leather flight jacket, and listening to more howling from outside.’
- ‘They think they are the last living people in Britain until one day Van Zan (Matthew McConaughey) turns up with a convoy of tanks and a helicopter, piloted by Alex, a blonde model in a flying jacket.’
- ‘Sebastian, in the meantime, had gone down in a blur of fists and flying jacket.’
- ‘And yesterday her diminutive flying jacket went on display at Wilberforce House Museum in Hull, for the first time since the pioneering aviator died in 1941.’
- ‘To guard against the low temperatures at these altitudes, cadets wore heavy flight jackets and trousers.’
- ‘For those who love roaring around on motorbikes, the most popular items these days are leather flight jackets and motorcycle jackets, to say nothing of the full-zip, reversible jackets.’
- ‘The seating is arranged one-behind-the-other which makes me think that perhaps a leather flight jacket and aviator shades may have been more appropriate attire than jeans and T-shirt.’
- ‘Mr Hunter was distinctively dressed in a tan leather fur-lined flying jacket and investigators are sure a taxi driver would remember the fare.’
- ‘He folded up the map and slipped it into the inside pocket of the flight jacket.’
- ‘He arrived for our interview in a dark blue Air Force One flight jacket.’
- ‘He wears a leather flight jacket and worn jeans along with his gear.’
- ‘Add pyjamas, sweater, serge uniform, flying boots, scarf, flying jacket, helmet and goggles, harness and parachute and it becomes a tight fit.’
- ‘The crew donned WWII surplus leather and fleece-lined flight jackets, pants, and boots.’
- ‘Hollywood has fallen in love with Belstaff, too: the designs have appeared in more than 30 movies, including The Aviator (Leonardo DiCaprio's flying jackets) and The Interpreter (Nicole Kidman's satchel).’
- ‘Some members of the group had them sewn on their flight jackets or flying suits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.