One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The range of combinations of speed, altitude, angle of attack, etc., within which a flying object is aerodynamically stable.
- ‘All the problems with Discovery's flight tell us we haven't yet done what it takes to fully understand the flight envelope.’
- ‘The pilot controls the aircraft through a computerised digital fly-by-wire system which provides artificial stabilisation and gust elevation to give good control characteristics throughout the flight envelope.’
- ‘A fully automatic rocket-assisted ejection seat allows escape at all altitudes and speeds within the aircraft's flight envelope.’
- ‘In this case, a combination of poor landing-gear-uplock design and possible proximity-switch failures caused a system failure within the established flight envelope.’
- ‘Colonel Kinnaird said the flight's test pilots are not Chuck Yeager types who venture into a flight envelope that has never been done before.’
- ‘Through a robust airworthiness procedure, its test and engineering capabilities allow for the safe operation of aircraft outside of standard flight envelopes.’
- ‘‘The flight envelope of the pod in which it is mounted is open to 50,000 ft,’ says Topaz.’
- ‘CNN had set up a video camera in the rear cockpit to film the flight and, according to plans, a further testing of the aircraft's flight envelope would be undertaken.’
- ‘This implies that, if abort capability is desired during this part of the flight envelope, some type of rocket-powered escape capsule must be used.’
- ‘The multi-year project will expand the hypersonic flight envelope for air-breathing engines.’
- ‘Rocketplane has modest goals to achieve passenger service in a flight envelope that was tested 45 years ago with X - 15.’
- ‘The speed brake can be employed throughout the entire aircraft flight envelope with minimal change to steady state trim settings.’
- ‘The different operating environments and generally different types of flight envelope between the two mean a comparison of hours is of little value unless you factor in all the differences.’
- ‘The improvement in flight characteristics provided by the four-bladed configuration has led to increases in flight envelope, maximum speed, vertical rate-of-climb, payload and rotor vibration level.’
- ‘The primary objective of Helios' recent checkout flight was to expand the flight envelope of the aircraft and verify proper operation of aircraft systems at high altitudes.’
- ‘The reason is that when we were out exploring the frontiers, we were out at the edges of the flight envelope all the time, testing limits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.