One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A muscle whose contraction bends a limb or other part of the body.Often contrasted with extensor
- ‘He was relieved when an MRI found only a strained flexor muscle.’
- ‘The flexor muscles of our fingers are stronger than the extensor muscles.’
- ‘It took 8 weeks for extensor muscle strength to return to normal; the flexor muscle groups generally recovered within 4 weeks.’
- ‘This different insertion pattern of the regenerated tendon could explain how it acts mainly as a flexor muscle rather than as an internal rotator.’
- ‘Brown, who had surgery to repair a detached flexor muscle in his right elbow, should be ready for the start of next season.’
- 1.1 Any of a number of specific muscles in the arm, hand, leg, or foot.
- ‘Wide heels increase peak external knee flexor torque by 30 % in comparison to going barefoot.’
- ‘There was a minor but consistent increase in knee flexor muscle bursts (amplitude and duration) during treadmill walking.’
- ‘Elbow flexors and horizontal flexors in the shoulder act alternately in concentric and eccentric contractions.’
- ‘Maintaining good posture and stretching your hip flexors and hamstrings will help keep the strain off your lower back.’
- ‘Choose moves that also stretch your hip flexors, which will help you achieve a split.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.