One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A muscle whose contraction bends a limb or other part of the body.Often contrasted with extensor
- ‘He was relieved when an MRI found only a strained flexor muscle.’
- ‘It took 8 weeks for extensor muscle strength to return to normal; the flexor muscle groups generally recovered within 4 weeks.’
- ‘This different insertion pattern of the regenerated tendon could explain how it acts mainly as a flexor muscle rather than as an internal rotator.’
- ‘Brown, who had surgery to repair a detached flexor muscle in his right elbow, should be ready for the start of next season.’
- ‘The flexor muscles of our fingers are stronger than the extensor muscles.’
- 1.1 Any of a number of specific muscles in the arm, hand, leg, or foot.
- ‘There was a minor but consistent increase in knee flexor muscle bursts (amplitude and duration) during treadmill walking.’
- ‘Wide heels increase peak external knee flexor torque by 30 % in comparison to going barefoot.’
- ‘Elbow flexors and horizontal flexors in the shoulder act alternately in concentric and eccentric contractions.’
- ‘Choose moves that also stretch your hip flexors, which will help you achieve a split.’
- ‘Maintaining good posture and stretching your hip flexors and hamstrings will help keep the strain off your lower back.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.