One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wound that breaks the skin but does not damage bones or vital organs.
- ‘It was only a flesh wound, but a frustrating place to have a wound when her shoulder was in constant use.’
- ‘A gaping, bloody, hurt-like-coconuts flesh wound, but a flesh wound at that.’
- ‘He sustained a flesh wound to his left cheek and his wife was shot through her right arm and chest.’
- ‘If you discount the minor flesh wound sustained by a Cornish meat pie van that brushed my Alfa very late at night some years ago, I have barely come into physical contact with another vehicle, so scrupulous is my driving.’
- ‘Even through the fuzz he heard the cry of pain from Miles as a bullet struck him, but the pounding feet continued and Kessler knew that it was just a flesh wound, nothing that would stop the man from escaping the complex.’
- ‘I really wish she had just come up to me at some point and said, ‘I say, mumsy, I have a minor flesh wound here, would you care to escort me to the veterinarian in the swiftest manner possible?’’
- ‘Feeling the smooth skin, I touched the flesh wound.’
- ‘The wound in his chest had almost completely healed, a flesh wound was all that was left of the gaping hole.’
- ‘The cramp in my side stung like a flesh wound, and my mind seemed to repeat the same words over and over again, ‘Get away.’’
- ‘On the third Wednesday of every month I'd visit fat Dr. Pinski, an old demoralized psychiatrist who couldn't have spotted a suicide if the malcontent's errant bullet ricocheted off his desk and grazed him with a flesh wound.’
- ‘While it wasn't a flesh wound, his bullet wound couldn't be all that bad, or he never would've stayed on his feet so long.’
- ‘She went to work and was taken to hospital with a flesh wound.’
- ‘‘It's only a flesh wound,’ Billy said with great relief.’
- ‘It was the equivalent of a mere flesh wound, but nonetheless, he had damaged the seemingly untouchable beast.’
- ‘When his charred corpse is being carried out on a stretcher towards a Baghdad graveyard, Bob's spirit will rise out of his body and let out a haunting screech - ‘It's just a flesh wound!’’
- ‘Ben had explained to her that his injury, while a flesh wound, had not been cleaned properly, and as a result was badly infected.’
- ‘You would think that being stuck at home following an emergency operation on your back, which left you with a flesh wound that required cleaning and dressing by nurses on a daily basis, would be its own punishment.’
- ‘The first-half was marred when a reckless challenge caught Graham Hutchinson with a stud and he was taken to hospital for seven stitches to a deep flesh wound.’
- ‘Agent Clark suffered a flesh wound and should be back to desk duty in a few days.’
- ‘Chen was grazed by a bullet, sustaining a flesh wound to the abdomen, while Lu was injured in the knee while they were canvassing together for votes in Tainan, the president's hometown, in an open car.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.