Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A shabby and unpleasant person or thing.
- ‘There's still more than enough fleabags to go around!’
- ‘Let's face it; they wanted to make sure I wasn't a fleabag.’
- ‘Either way, it seems he's a dirty fleabag, y'know?’
- ‘And the strange thing about a bunch of old cats, old fat cats, fleabags, when they arise to a certain level of power, they forget how they were.’
- 1.1North American A seedy, run-down hotel or lodging house.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.