Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a class of conjugated proteins that contain flavins and are involved in oxidation reactions in cells.
- ‘A number of substances, including oxygen, can act as electron acceptors from the flavoproteins.’
- ‘This flavoprotein is a serine-threonine protein kinase able to phosphorylate its serine and threonine residues.’
- ‘Xanthine oxidase, a flavoprotein, catalyses the oxidation of hypoxanthine to xanthine and then generated superoxide and uric acid.’
- ‘This would be analogous to other flavoproteins such as mercuric ion reductase, lipoamide dehydrogenase, and thioredoxin reductase.’
- ‘In addition, structural information on multimeric flavoproteins has been obtained from time-resolved anisotropy studies through energy transfer between the flavin cofactors.’
1930s: blend of flavin and protein.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.