One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who lavishes praise, often insincerely; a sycophant.‘he is not allowing flatterers to deceive him’
sycophant, groveller, fawner, lackey, obsequious person, kowtower, time serverView synonyms
- ‘The crowd's loud cheers and shouts of applause were typical of the flatterer, excessive and insincere.’
- ‘Your closest retainers and flatterers have never led you astray before and they will not fail you now.’
- ‘Men like this associate only with flatterers, and are friends to nobody.’
- ‘Wisdom is also needed in picking and satisfying his closest advisors and avoiding flatterers.’
- ‘Artists are mainly flatterers when it comes to the portrait.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.